|HD DVD NEWS||Receive HD DVD News via RSS|
'Blade Runner' Specs, Date Revealed
Tags: Disc Announcements, Warner (all tags)
(UPDATE 07/31/07: Since our original post of this story, Warner Home Video has informed us that there will be two versions of 'Blade Runner' made available on both Blu-ray and HD DVD. A 'Complete Collector's Edition' five-disc set ($39.95), as well as a 'Ultimate Collector's Edition' ($99.95) featuring collectible packaging and memorabilia. Note that disc contents for both editions are identical. We've updated our database listings for 'Blade Runner' accordingly.)
After months of anticipation, Warner Home Video has finally unveiled full specs and a street date for 'Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector's Edition' on Blu-ray and HD DVD.
Since Warner first announced late last year that it was finally bringing Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic to high-def this fall, expectations have been sky high for what has long been the most highly-requested special edition in the studio's library.
Now, Warner has issued a new press release heralding what promises to be a behemoth of a next-gen release. As previously reported, 'Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition' will be a whopping five-disc set, and the studio confirmed a simultaneous December 18 bow on Blu-ray, HD DVD and standard-def DVD.
Some of the many highlights of the set include no less than five different versions of the film, all freshly remastered: Ridley Scott's brand-new 'Final Cut,' featuring all-new footage and upgraded special effects; the 1992 "Director's Cut"; both the 1982 domestic Theatrical and unrated International cuts; and the long-sought after, near-mythical "Workprint" version never before released publicly.
For the set's supplements, Warner has assembled Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Joanna Cassidy, Sean Young and Daryl Hannah among some 80 stars, filmmakers and others who participate in "Dangerous Days," a three-and-a-half-hour documentary by award-winning DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika.
Additionally, there will be an entire disc with hours of enhanced content containing featurettes and galleries devoted to over 45 minutes of deleted and alternate scenes recently discovered in deep storage and approved by Scott, visual effects as well as background on author Philip K. Dick, script development, abandoned sequences, conceptual design and the overall impact of the film.
In addition to the 'Complete Collector's Edition,' Warner will also issue a 'Ultimate Collector's Edition' on both high-def formats. Disc contents will be identical to the 'Complete Collector's Edition,' though the 'Ultimate' box will come in a special collectible "Deckard Briefcase" including memorabilia.
List price for the 'Complete Collector's Edition' is $39.95, and for the 'Ultimate Collector's Edition,' $99.95.
You'll find the latest details for 'Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector's Edition' to both our Blu-ray Release Schedule and HD DVD Release Schedule, under December 18. We'll keep you posted as soon as final tech specs and box cover art are confirmed. Watch this space!
- Related links:
- Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Press Release) [Business Wire]
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Blade Runner (Ultimate Collector's Ed.) (Blu-ray)
- Blade Runner (Ultimate Collector's Ed.) (HD DVD)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Warner to Raise Next-Gen Bar with Five-Disc 'Blade Runner' (Jul 18, 2007)
- 'Blade Runner' Comes to Blu-ray, HD DVD This October (May 18, 2007)
- Replicants Rejoice: Warner to Bring 'Blade Runner' to High-Def DVD (May 30, 2006)
- Most Recent HD DVD Headlines:
- 'Hannibal: Season One' Blu-ray Pre-Orders Live
- Xbox One Unveiled as the Ultimate All-in-One Entertainment System
- 'The Sword in the Stone: 50th Anniversary Edition' Announced for Blu-ray
- 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D Dated
- Videogame Releases: Week of May 19th, 2013
- More HD DVD News...