|HD DVD NEWS||Receive HD DVD News via RSS|
Paramount Close to Announcing First HD-DVD Releases?
Tags: Disc Announcements, Paramount (all tags) Rumors surfaced today on the web that Paramount is poised to become the third studio to announce release dates for titles in the HD-DVD format, planning an initial wave of disc titles to be released later this spring.
Both The Man Room and The Digital Bits report that Paramount plans on setting a May 30 release date for its first batch of HD-DVD discs. The web site cites an unnamed studio source as saying that although the timeframe is still tentative, an official announcement from the studio is imminent.
The studio's rumored first wave is said to include 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider,' 'Four Brothers' and what would be the format's first-ever music release, 'U2: Rattle and Hum.' All three titles had previously been announced by Paramount as being prepped for HD-DVD release this past January at CES 2006.
If Paramount does announce HD-DVD support, that will make it the third studio to officially release titles on the format, following Warner and Universal.
Update: Paramount late Wednesday added all three of the titles -- 'Four Brothers,' 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' and 'U2 Rattle & Hum' to its official press and retail website. Full details are not yet available, but we have udpated our HD-DVD Release Schedule to reflect the new street dates.
- Related links:
- My Two Cents Column [The Digital Bits]
- Paramount to Release First HD-DVD Titles May 30 [The Man Room]
- Most Recent HD DVD Headlines:
- HDD Deal of the Week: 'Gettysburg / Gods and Generals: Limited Collector's Edition' Blu-ray $33.99 at Amazon
- "Mastered in 4K" and the Road to Ultra HD
- Weekend Roundtable: Into Darkness
- 'The Borgias: The Complete Third Season' Blu-ray Dated and Detailed
- Reminder: 'Texas Chainsaw 3D' Contest Ends Today
- More HD DVD News...