|HD DVD NEWS||Receive HD DVD News via RSS|
Universal Goes Non-Combo with 'Army of Darkness,' ' Unleashed' Reissues
Tags: Disc Announcements, Combo Discs, Universal (all tags)
Universal first released both 'Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed' last year as HD DVD/DVD combos, at the format's slightly higher $34.95 price tag. The studio is now discontinuing those versions from the market, and re-issuing both as $29.95 HD DVD-only versions on June 26.
Specs and features remain the same -- Universal is simply dropping the standard-def DVD side, with no other changes to the discs' content.
The move comes as a bit of a surprise, since only a couple of months ago, the studio was touting an aggressive release strategy that would see an estimated 90 percent of its entire HD DVD 2007 line-up go combo. However, over the past several weeks, the studio has announced its HD DVD release schedule all the way through July, and not a single catalog title is a combo.
No word has come from Universal on just what the strategy is behind their seeming about-face on combos. Perhaps the lower price point on HD DVD-only catalog titles will prove more attractive to consumers, and help further drive sales? Certainly, with the news of Blu-ray's success with titles like 'Casino Royale,' which last week became the first next-gen title to ship over 100,000 copies, the battle for sales bragging rights is certainly more competitive than ever.
We'll keep you posted on any further Universal conversions of combo titles to HD DVD-only releases. We've also added new listings for both 'Army of Darkness' and 'Unleashed' to our HD DVD Release Schedule, under June 26.
- Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
- Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (HD DVD)
- Unleashed (Re-issue) (HD DVD)
- Army of Darkness (Combo Edition) (HD DVD)
- Unleashed (Combo Edition) (HD DVD)
- Earlier on High-Def Digest:
- Universal Plans 100 New HD DVD Titles in 2007, Still Says No to Blu-ray (Jan 25, 2007)
- 'Casino Royale' Blu-ray Breaks 100,000 Unit Milestone (Mar 27, 2007)
- HD DVD Promotions Group Touts 2007 Release Line-Up; Reveals More Upcoming Titles (Mar 28, 2007)